The coker operation will be closed until economics improve. Valero said the gasifier complex will be closed indefinitely.
Valero, the nation's largest independent refiner, in July said it could lose money for the rest of the year if the weak economy persists.
Shares of Valero rose 47 cents, or 2.6 percent, to $18.83 a share in late morning trading.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys