2 multi-vehicle crashes in 2 states on I-95

Chopper 6 HD over the scene of an accident in Upper Chichester Township, Delaware County on March 3, 2011.

March 3, 2011 6:23:54 PM PST
Multi-vehicle crashes, one in Delaware County and the other in the state in Delaware, caused major problems on I-95 southbound.

A multi-vehicle crash resulted in the closure of I-95 in Delaware County Thursday afternoon.

The crash was reported just before 3:00 p.m. on southbound I-95 by Market Street in Upper Chichester Township.

Approximately 5 vehicles were involved in the crash.

2 people were taken to Crozer-Chester Medical Center in unknown conditions.

RELATED: Visit the 6abc.com Traffic Channel to find alternative routes

Because of the crash, all southbound traffic were being forced off of I-95 at the route 322 exit.

However, that was not the only accident giving commuters problems on Thursday afternoon.

Delaware State Police say a tractor-trailer jackknifed during a multi-vehicle crash in Newark.

The incident occurred at approximately 4:07 p.m. as 54-year-old James Dorse was operating a 1998 Freightliner tractor and trailer. He was traveling on I-95 southbound in the center lane.

As Dorse approached the toll plaza, he attempted to slow his vehicle down, however, he had to swerve to his left in order to avoid striking a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe that had slowed in traffic in front of him.

Authorities say as Dorse swerved, the tractor struck the rear of the Tahoe, which was being operated by 23-year-old Amanda Gilmore of Ocean View, NJ, as well as a cement median.

The Tahoe was then forced into the rear of a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country van that was being operated by Jared Robert of Albany, NY and that was stopped in the center lane of I-95 southbound.

Dorse's tractor and trailer jackknifed, blocking all three southbound lanes of the interstate.

Gilmore was transported from the scene by EMS to the Christiana Hospital where she was treated for minor injuries. There were no other injuries.

James Dorse was cited by troopers for traveling at an unsafe speed.

I-95 southbound was closed for approximately three hours as the crash was cleared.

The accident was cleared by 7:00 p.m.