Family says Hoverboard exploded, caught fire inside home

EMBED </>More Videos

If a toy Hoverboard is on the top of your child's wish list, you may want to think twice before you buy it. (WPVI)

If a toy Hoverboard is on the top of your child's wish list, you may want to think twice before you buy it.

A Louisiana family says their futuristic skateboard exploded inside their home, destroying an entire room.

Jessica Horne bought it from a company called "Fit Turbo" on Amazon.com.

Her 12-year-old son Hayden only had it for one day before the fire erupted in his bedroom.

"When it happened, I couldn't believe it. It was hard to put out because it was pretty big, it caught flames fast," he recalled.

Hoverboards run on lithium batteries and must be recharged.

Hayden says his was plugged in just moments before the sparks started flying.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission had 8 reports of Hoverboard injuries in the last three months, but all were related to falls, and not fires.

Meanwhile, Hayden's mom is planning to sue.
Related Topics:
hobbiesfirehouse fireu.s. & worldtoysLouisiana
(Copyright ©2018 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)