Deadly stench in Pa. town forces evacuation

June 23, 2008 8:23:02 AM PDT
Meadville officials say some people were asked to leave their homes over the weekend after dangerous levels of a deadly gas seeped into the air.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, residents reported a smell of rotten eggs, associated with the deadly gas, hydrogen sulfide. The gas levels found on all three days were at levels considered to be immediately dangerous.

Emergency personnel urged residents to leave the area due to the high concentration.

Meadville Central Fire Department Lt. Patrick Wiley says emergency personnel are working with the sewer authority to find the source of the gas leak.

Hydrogen sulfide is naturally produced by decaying organic materials. High levels of the gas were also found last summer in the same areas.


Load Comments