Candle blamed for Wilmington high-rise fire

December 2, 2008 4:40:56 AM PST
Fire investigators say a fire at a Wilmington high-rise building was caused by a candle left burning in an apartment. The Wilmington Fire Department says the candle ignited some bed linens, causing the fire Sunday at the condominium building at 1401 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Two residents suffered minor injuries, and 30 people were displaced by the fire, which was confined to one seventh floor apartment.

Officials say the building is not fitted with a sprinkler system.

The American Red Cross assisted the people who were displaced.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments