Curling iron sparked morning fire

May 13, 2009 7:57:08 AM PDT
Investigators say a curling iron is to blame for a morning fire in Wilmington, Delaware. Firefighters were called out to the 600 block of Homestead Road around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday.

When they arrived they found smoke and flames coming from the second floor of an apartment building.

An elderly resident suffered some smoke inhalation and was taken to an area hospital for treatment. She is expected to make a full recovery.

Investigators have determined that the fire was sparked by a curling iron which was left plugged in on a bed.

The iron ignited bedding material, and the flames spread from there.

That apartment sustained heavy fire damage to the bedroom. The apartment below has minor water and smoke damage.

The fire was brought under control in 45 minutes.

Estimated fire damage was $50,000.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments