Homeless man in Trenton wakes up on fire

Pictured: Robert Scott

October 26, 2011 2:17:01 PM PDT
A homeless man is recovering from second degree burns after he fell asleep outside and woke up to find his leg on fire.

That man, 47-year-old Robert Scott, was limping through the streets of Trenton on Wednesday, his leg bandaged from his knee to his ankle.

Robert was asleep at about 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday night on the porch of a vacant home in the 1200 block of East State Street when he awoke to a shock.

"I went to sleep on the porch. I woke up with my leg on fire," Scott said.

Confused and frightened, Scott scrambled to put the flames out.

"When I saw my leg was on fire I tried to get the pants off of it but they had burned all the way, stuck to it, and my shoe was all burned up," Scott said.

Scott was taken to Capital Health-Fuld where he was treated and released with 2nd degree burns.

Police are now looking into how this happened.

Some witnesses say a group of local teens was seen running from the area, and the victim thinks they're responsible because, he says, it's happened before.

"This is the second time them kids set my feet on fire," said Scott.

Police are checking surveillance tapes from a nearby liquor store. Meanwhile, residents were outraged at the thought that teens could be responsible.

"That's absolutely horrible. I can't imagine why someone would do something like that. It makes me sick," said Marcia Bethea.

"I think it's horrible. I think it all goes back to parenting. It's the lack of it," said Willie Colon. "Society just really needs to get a grip."

For now, Robert Scott is nursing his burns.

Authorities are asking anyone who saw what happened or has any information about this case to contact police.

Load Comments