Officials questioning validity of latest Camden rape

February 22, 2012 8:48:37 PM PST
Late Wednesday night, the Camden County Prosecutor's Office tells Action News they have credible information that leads them to believe the latest Camden rape was made up.

The prosecutor's office will hold a news conference tomorrow morning concerning this latest rape allegation.

Camden police made their presence known Wednesday night from one end of Baird Boulevard to the other.

Investigators say a young woman claimed she was walking a path behind homes on Randolph Street around 12:30 p.m. when she was attacked and raped by a man, possibly Camden's serial rapist.

But now the Camden County Prosecutor's Office says today's manpower may have been for nothing because they believe the woman's allegations may be false.

In a statement late tonight, prosecutor Warren Faulk's office said: "There are serious concerns about the allegations of sexual assault that were reported this afternoon. We cannot provide further information at this time, but the account we received today is being reevaluated. The Prosecutor's office and Camden Police Department will provide further information on Thursday."

If the woman made up the story, sources say she could be facing charges especially because of the local, state and federal manpower that was used throughout the day.

The case of the serial rapist has angered residents who feel the city hasn't done enough to inform the community or catch the man who police believe raped three young women in the past few weeks near Farnham Park.

All three attacks occurred around 3:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.

The victims range in age from early teens to early 20s.

Last week, the prosecutor's office and police thought they were dealing with four rapes, but they say a December case was unfounded.

Even though it appears today's incident will also be unfounded, residents say this man is still out there.

"They need to use those resources the right way, set up decoys, whatever you have to do," Camden resident Richard Adkins said.

Police released composite sketch of the suspect last week.

The suspect in the previous attacks was described by the victims as a black man aged 20 to 30, standing approximately 5'7 to 6' tall.

The prosecutor says people should know the attacker has distinctively light brown eyes.

Anyone with information on the Farnham Park assaults or anyone who can identify the person in the police sketch is urged to call the hotline Camden Police have established specifically for the investigation of these assaults, (856) 757-7042.

Load Comments