The fire broke out around 3:30 Saturday morning at the Spring Garden Apartments on the 600 block of Perth Place.
The flames broke out on the third floor of the building.
Arriving fire crews found a number of residents screaming for help. Some were rescued by ladder while others had to be brought out through the stairs. No injuries were reported.
The American Red cross says 14 residents were displaced including 11 adults and three children.
The families were brought to the Spring Garden Community Center at 715 Brandywine Street where they are being assisted with food, clothing and shelter.
So far no word what sparked the fire but officials are calling the blaze 'suspicious.'