New Castle County firefighters and paramedics responded to the 1000 block of Providence Avenue on Friday at 12:38 p.m. for a report of a fire. Firefighters said the 57-year-old resident of the home was trapped inside the home for about 25 minutes before firefighters were able to remove him.
Paramedics say the man had injuries from inhaling smoke and hot gasses from the fire and was in cardiac arrest when he was taken from his home.
The man was taken to a hospital where he was admitted in critical condition.
The man's name was not released.