Brian Heston may be young but he knows why it's important to have working smoke detector in your home.
"If there's a fire, it will alert you to get out of the house," he said.
Heston's grandmother was one of many people who picked up a new smoke detector at the Safety Saturday table in South Philadelphia.
Representatives from Kidde, manned tables at Home Depots in the area. They answered questions about fire safety and let people know about new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
It's all part of "Operation 6abc Save a Life," a joint effort with Delaware Valley fire departments.
The new detectors come with a 10 year battery.
"It's a great deal because it has a 10 year battery in it and the battery will save you $40 over the life of the alarm," said Asha Johnson
You can save money on batteries and you don't get the annoying battery change beeps in middle of night.
The new kitchen detectors can also tell the difference between cooking and a real fire.
It all sounded good to Barbara Mariano.
"The other thing I like is that they don't go off on steam. When I boil water the other ones would go off. I think we're going to get one," said Mariano.
The need for working detectors hit home for Mike Melfe. Just last week his neighbors found high carbon monoxide levels in their home and had to call the fire department.
Melfe admits he hasn't been keeping up the way he should. When was the last time he checked his detector?
"When I first bought the house back in March," said Melfe.
The kickoff event runs only Saturday but the detectors will continue to be available at Home Depot stores throughout the area.