Couple files lawsuit over Lower Township house explosion

Click play to watch the report from Action News
December 18, 2013 2:27:04 PM PST
The New Jersey couple injured in last month's house explosion and fire in Lower Township is suing a home heating contractor and a propane supplier.

The massive explosion and fire happened on November 7th at 4:00 p.m. at a home in the 200 block of East Atlantic Avenue in the Villas section of Lower Township.

67-year-old James McCarty suffered severe burns to his legs and his wife, Evelyn, suffered two broken legs.

The explosion happened as the McCartys were in the process of converting their home from propane to natural gas.

The lawsuit claims South Jersey Fuel & Propane and subcontractor Shore Guys Heating and Air Conditioning, LLC cut the propane lines running underneath the home and shut off the fuel tank but never removed it.

Attorneys for the McCartys say on the day of the blast, a well-intended neighbor opened the valve to the disconnected propane tank, allowing gas to collect beneath the home.

A spark from the home's hot water heater ignited the propone, resulting in the explosion and fire that injured the McCartys.


Load Comments