The blaze broke out just after 11:30 p.m. on the 4800 block of North 12th Street.
Firefighters arrived to flames coming from the basement of a building with four apartment units.
They quickly placed the blaze under control and got the residents out safely.
Officials say nine adults and seven children from five families were displaced.
The American Red Cross arrived to assist the victims.
Four of the families are at the one of a kind Red Cross House.
Red paw was also on the scene and assisted a family with their pet dog.
There are no reports of any injuries or word on what sparked the blaze.