- Joshua E. Huffman, 32, of Pandora, Ohio, saved 11-year-old Seth L. Boroff and helped to save 61-year-old Judith A. Garrison from drowning Aug. 21, 2007. The car Garrison and Boroff were in was washed from a flooded road into a flooded field.
- Brian Scott Sturgill, 41, of Harrah, Okla., Joseph Edward Howard, 34, of Shawnee, Okla., and Randy Poindexter, 33, of Kingfisher, Okla., saved 66-year-old Bernice A. Krittenbrink and her 72-year-old husband, LeRoy, when floodwaters from a tropical storm washed the Krittenbrinks' pickup truck off a highway into flooded farmland Aug. 19, 2007, in Kingfisher.
- Ronald Thomas, 56, of Wellsville, N.Y., died trying to save 16-year-old Daniel G. Allen, who fell from a man-made waterfall spanning the Genesee River in Wellsville into turbulent waters trying to save his father, who had also fallen in, on April 29, 2007.
- Walter Beresford, 57, of Belleville, N.J., rescued 70-year-old Frances M. Greene from her second-floor bedroom in Irvington, N.J., after it caught fire April 13, 2006.
- Raymond Knepper, 53, of Niles, Ohio, rescued 43-year-old Louis A. Michaels, of Niles, from his burning house after a natural gas explosion set fire to the front half of the building on May 20, 2007.
- Steven J. Gies, 43, of Petaluma, Calif., helped to rescue his neighbor, 49-year-old Cathy M. Rappa, who was unconscious after a fire broke out Aug. 16, 2007, in her apartment in Petaluma. Rappa died two days later of smoke inhalation.
- Timothy Charles, 28, of Scranton, Pa., rescued Helen L. Lashinski, 81, after a fire engulfed the first floor of her Scranton house on Aug. 3, 2007.
- Craig L. Wenner, 50, of Brookville, Ohio, died trying to save his wife, 50-year-old Patricia S. Wenner, from drowning in the Stillwater River in Englewood, Ohio, on Dec. 25, 2006. Patricia Wenner was caught in the rough water while trying to save the family dog. She also drowned.
- Keavy Joseph Neff, 44, of Spokane, Wash., helped to save a 23-year-old man from drowning in the Spokane River on April 25, 2007.
- William Dean Basler, 19, of Las Vegas, rescued 26-year-old Kristy A. Dudley and 28-year-old Stacey L. Taylor, who were passengers in a runaway horse-drawn carriage on April 8, 2007, in Indianapolis.
- Clayton A. Boucher, 44, of Remsen, N.Y., helped to save 67-year-old Lyle M. Robison from an overturned, burning vehicle on July 10, 2007, in Holland Patent, N.Y.
- James Christopher Koch, 39, of Homestead, Fla., and Jeffrey S. Bass, 40, of Miami, saved 67-year-old Norberto Martinez, who was thrown from his 18-foot boat and then struck by the vessel and injured Sept. 29, 2007, in the Atlantic Ocean near Key Largo, Fla.
- Scott Leland McGrain, 32, of Horseheads, N.Y., rescued 12-year-old Andrew M. Peterson from burning after the boy's house was demolished by a massive natural gas explosion on Dec. 10, 2005, in Horseheads.
- Benjamin Montgomery, 32, of Koloa, Hawaii, rescued Ping Zhou, 33, from assault after a woman stabbed her in the back with a large knife in the courtyard of a mall on Jan. 10, 2007, in Lihue, Hawaii.
- Lindsey A. Witherspoon, 18, of Kingsport, Tenn., saved a 20-year-old woman from drowning in her car in Fort Patrick Henry Lake on Dec. 26.
- Kyle Christopherson, 18, of Oxford, Ga., saved 47-year-old Daniel C. Broaddus from drowning in the Atlantic Ocean at Daytona Beach Shores, Fla., on July 23, 2007.
- Diane D. Cox, 52, of Newbury Park, Calif., rescued 33-year-old Sandra Ruiz, who was being attacked by a man armed with a meat cleaver in an apartment complex at Newbury Park on Aug. 12, 2007.
- Jarmaine E. Ravenell, 25, of Ewing, N.J., and Javier Jimenez, 34, of Trenton, N.J., rescued Keisha L. Downing, 36, as she was being attacked by a man armed with a knife in downtown Trenton on Aug. 13, 2007.
- Dominique Chatman, 24, of Baton Rouge, La., and Gregory J. Carson, 43, of Slidell, La., both died trying to help save Joy R. Anderson, 49, and Sharon R. Haskins, 24, from drowning in the Gulf of Mexico at Miramar Beach, Fla., on Sept. 11, 2007. Anderson and Haskins survived.
- Timothy John Foote, 45, of Harrisburg, Pa., rescued 78-year-old David H. Jauss after Jauss was found unconscious on the family room floor of his burning Harrisburg home on Oct. 29.
Recipients of Carnegie Hero medals
PITTSBURGH (AP) - October 2, 2008