A company spokesperson said the layoffs are part of a restructuring plan in which a total of 8,000 workers would lose their jobs companywide by the end of the year.
The spokesperson goes on to say the layoffs are mainly a response to steady decreases in the landline business.
Communications Workers of America, the union representing Verizon workers, said the layoffs will hurt the state.
They attribute the layoffs to corporate greed, adding Verizon isn't hurting for money, and is still spending on advertising promotions for its FiOS products.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys