A day after the Yankees took a commanding 3-1 lead in the World Series, The Philadelphia Inquirer ran an ad from the retail chain congratulating the Phillies on winning back-to-back championships.
The three-quarter page ad on the back of Monday's front section features a T-shirt emblazoned with the Phillies logo, the Commissioner's Trophy and the phrase "Back To Back World Series Champions."
The Inquirer released an apologetic message to readers saying the paper deeply regrets the error.
Confident fans still anticipating a Phillies win may need to temper their purchasing expectations, however. The ad contains a small disclaimer at the bottom: "Advertised items may not be at your local Macy's."
2009 WORLD SERIES
- Photos from Game 4
- Photos from Game 3
- Photos from Game 2
- Photos from Game 1
- WORLD SERIES POLL - Who will win the 2009 World Series?
- INTERACTIVE: See how the Phillies and Yankees stack up, player by player
- Stub Hub World Series Ticket Prices
- Ticket Liquidator World Series Ticket Prices
- Philadelphia Phillies ticket information site
- Citizens Bank Park parking and driving directions
PHILLIES FANS CENTRAL
- Send in your own Phillies photos and videos!
- Check out other Phillies fans honoring their team!
- Have plans for watching the Phillies? Tell us!
- Relive the Road to the 2008 World Series Championship
2009 NATIONAL LEAGUE SERIES
- 2009 NLCS Photos
- Fans celebrate 2009 NLCS victory
- 2009 NLDS Photos
- VIDEOS: Phillies react 2009 NLE Championship