Bristol mom pleads guilty in feces-filled home case

Pictured: Chelsea Champey

July 11, 2011 2:43:39 PM PDT
A Bristol mother has pleaded guilty to child endangerment charges after police found three children living in her feces-filled home.

Chelsea Champey, 22, of Spruce Street in Bristol, was arrested in April following a police investigation.

It all began back on February 15th when police went to her home in the 600 block of Spruce Street to investigate an unrelated complaint and found three children, ages 4, 2 and 1, home alone.

Once inside, the officer saw that there was an open bottle of liquor on the table, as well as the remains of a marijuana cigarette in an ashtray. Under the table were feces that, the officer said appeared to be human.

In the kitchen, the officer found food scattered on the floor and bags filled with rotted food stacked against the refrigerator.

Upstairs, on the second floor, the officer said he found rooms filled with dirty laundry and more feces. On a nightstand was a box of opened razor blades. There was no running water in the home, and the tub was encrusted with a pinkish substance that had solidified.

A rear bedroom on that floor was occupied by the 1-year-old, the officer said, who was in a crib covered in feces.

The officer then says he encountered a stairwell to the third floor that was dead-bolted from the outside. Up the stairs the officer says he found a 2-year-old completely naked and covered in feces.

Police also say they found scrape marks on the inside of a door which, they believe, were made by the child "clawing" to get out.

Feces were also found smeared on a stairwell banister, on a television, furniture and bedding, the officer added.

Police say there was only one smoke detector in the home, on the third floor, and it was 'chirping' to indicate a low battery.

The children were placed into custody of Bucks County Youth and Human Services immediately after the discovery in February. They were placed in two separate foster homes.

Champey faces 60 days to 18 months in prison.

Defense lawyers asked for the delay so that Champey could undergo a mental health evaluation.