The fire started around 1:00 p.m. in the 1100 block of South Ruby Street.
When rescuers arrived they found fire in the kitchen and the home was filled with smoke.
They were able to put the fire out, but not before a mother and child were injured.
The child, a 22-month-old boy, was transported to Children's Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
The mother, a 38-year-old woman, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania with burns to the face and head.
Authorities say the fire may have started on the stove.