Suspect in hit-and-run of Fishtown girl, 10, turns himself in

March 13, 2013 5:24:19 AM PDT
The suspect in a hit-and-run accident that injured a 10-year-old girl from Fishtown has turned himself into police.

23-year-old Charles Mulhern was joined by his attorney as he surrendered to authorities in Northeast Philadelphia Tuesday night.

"He regrets what happened. He turned himself in. There's a warrant for his arrest. He cooperated. He regrets what happened. It's a bad situation, somebody got injured. It's sad," attorney Joseph Kelly said.

Mulhern claims, according to Kelly, he did not know he had struck anyone late Thursday afternoon in the 2400 block of Memphis Street.

"We'll see, I'm not sure if I believe that to be honest with you," Kelly told reporters outside police headquarters.

Kelly says they are investigating that claim, but he wants to be truthful.

"How do you hit somebody and not know that you hit them?" Kelly said.

He says the family saw the incident on the news and contacted him.

Kelly says he told police Saturday the hit-and-run vehicle believed to be the white SUV that struck 10-year-old Sarah Givens could be found outside the driver's house in Northeast Philadelphia.

Kelly says Mulhern is remorseful.

"He regrets what happened and he wants to address this," Kelly said, earlier in the day. "In most criminal cases, most defendants are not giving up cars and giving statements to the police. He chose to do that because he wants to address this and address that what he did was wrong."

The victim, Sarah Givens, first spoke to Action News over the weekend after leaving the hospital.

She suffered a broken leg.

On hearing about Tuesday's developments in the case, Sarah Givens' father referred questions to a family attorney, who said the Givens family was indeed grateful and overjoyed.

In a bizarre twist, the family is hoping police can find a second hit-and-run driver.

Sarah's 15-year-old sister, Kylie Givens, remains in critical condition following a separate hit-and-run incident.

She was struck at the intersection of Torresdale and Cheltenham Avenues in Frankford on Saturday night, two days after her younger sister was hit.

In that case, police are still looking for a white car. A man reportedly got out of that white car, looked back and then drove on.