Pa. police seek gunman in road rage killing near Maryland

PHILADELPHIA - January 6, 2014

Timothy Davison, 28, of Maine, had called 911 as he crossed from Maryland into Pennsylvania on Interstate 81 early Saturday.

He reported some sort of problem, such as one driver braking suddenly or cutting someone off, and said a gunman inside the pickup was now shooting at him, said Trooper Rob Hicks, a state police spokesman.

"There is mention of that (type problem) on the tape. I'm not sure what exactly transpired. It appears to be a random road-rage incident," Hicks, who declined to elaborate about the 911 tape, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

No arrests have been made, and the FBI has joined the investigation.

Police believe the pickup driver rammed Davison's car into a grassy median, before the driver or perhaps a passenger shot him at about 2:10 a.m. The shooting occurred about 10 miles north of Hagerstown, Md.

Investigators were looking for a small pickup truck, perhaps a blue Ford Ranger, with damage to the front quarter panel or driver's side door. The pickup may have silver paint from Davison's vehicle, a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. They believe the pickup turned south on I-81 after the crime.

Police were also investigating any possible connection to a roadway shooting Friday evening on a local road in York County, about 30 miles away.

A driver told police that someone in a black pickup truck followed him recklessly in Monaghan Township at about 6:45 p.m., then fired several shots into his truck. One bullet hit the driver's head rest.

Davison was shot in Antrim Township, and later pronounced dead at a York hospital. He had been driving home to Poland, Maine, after visiting relatives in Florida over the holidays, police said.

Relatives in Maine described him to the Portland Press Herald as a gentle person who was a gifted mechanic and loved the outdoors. He worked for his father's business, Engineered Construction Services in Raymond.

His father told the newspaper that his son had taken I-81 to avoid traffic on Interstate 95. Davison's first call to 911 went to authorities in Maryland, but was dropped, perhaps as he crossed the state line, Hicks said. A second call went to dispatchers in Pennsylvania.

"We have not found anything yet that would lead us to believe the victim and the suspect knew each other," Hicks said.

An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.