Police: Attempted robbery victim fatally shoots toy gun-wielding suspect in Upper Darby

WPVI logo
Thursday, February 5, 2015
VIDEO: Police: Victim fatally shoots pellet gun-wielding suspect
Police say a man fatally shot a pellet gun-wielding suspect during an attempted robbery in Upper Darby.

UPPER DARBY, Pa. (WPVI) -- Police say a man fatally shot a pellet gun-wielding suspect during an attempted robbery in Upper Darby.

The incident occurred around 2:00 p.m. Wednesday in Cobbs Creek Park near the 6700 block of Church Lane.

Sources say the suspected robber has been identified as 18-year-old Tyler Williams of West Philadelphia.

Investigators say a 67-year-old man was walking on a path when the suspect ran up and demanded cash.

"He hears somebody running behind him. As he turns around, he sees a masked man with a gun pointed at him saying, 'Give it up, give me all you got," said Supt. Michael Chitwood, Upper Darby Township Police.

However the intended victim grabbed the suspect's gun.

During the struggle, police say the victim pulled out his own weapon and fired one shot striking the attempted robber in the head, killing him.

The victim does have a concealed weapons permit.

"He was really shook up - really upset. And I told him point blank. I said, 'You did what you had to do and as far as I'm concerned I don't see any criminal charges forthcoming,'" said Supt. Chitwood.

Police say the suspect had a half dozen cell phones, a mask and the weapon he had was actually a pellet gun.

"It's a shame somebody had to die. At the end of the day but the bad guy pulling the stick up - lost," said Supt. Chitwood.

After the shooting, the 67-year-old victim, who lives in the Cobbs Creek area, walked out of the park to call 911.

Chitwood says the victim was rushed to Delaware County Memorial Hospital with chest pains. He is expected to be okay.

Saul Cohen who ran over and saw the suspect dead says the park has been a problem.

"Happened to my neighbor next door about two months ago - they tried to rob him in the park and almost killed him. This should all be cleaned out over here and it's just really dangerous," said Cohen.

The victim told police he saw a second man hiding in the bushes that took off after the shooting. No word if that person's involvement.