Summertime means more free time for kids to explore and play outside. Whether you're hitting the playground, the pool, the beach, or the trail, there are a few basics all parents and babysitters need to know to keep everyone safe and having fun.
As the region's only level-one trauma center dedicated specifically to children, CHOP's emergency room can be a busy place during the summer months. CHOP not only treats and heals children's injuries, it's also home to the Center for Injury Research and Prevention and Prevention, SafeKids Southeastern PA Coalition, and Kohl's Injury Prevention Program.
Two CHOP pediatric injury prevention experts will be online on Tuesday, July 22nd from 4-5 pm to answer your questions about how to keep kids safe without putting a damper on the fun this summer.
1. How can I make sure my kids are OK playing in the heat? All you need to know about hydration, sun protection, kids and the heat.
2. How can I recognize, prevent and treat common summertime rashes and bug bites for my kids?
3. Safety on wheels: how do I keep my kids safe on their bikes, scooters, skateboards and rollerblades, and in cars?
4. Water safety: What should I know beyond the basics of always keeping my eyes on the water? Everything from swimming lessons and drowning prevention to waterborne illnesses, chlorine exposure, jellyfish stings, boating and water park safety
5. What health tips should I keep in mind while traveling with my kids? - Medications, vaccines, access to healthcare, camp tips
6. What are some of the most frequently-overlooked safety risks for kids in summer?
7. How can I help keep my kid safe even when I'm not there? How do I teach them to keep themselves safe?
8. Safe as a pedestrian: What my child should know to cross the street safely.
Submit your questions now (using the form at the bottom of the page) for CHOP's Mark Zonfrillo, MD, MSCE, Attending Empergency Physician and injury prevention researcher, and Gina Duchossois, MS, Injury Prevention Supervisor at CHOP and Chair of SafeKids Southeastern PA Coalition.
Meet the panel:
Gina P. Duchossois, MS, is CHOP's Injury Prevention Supervisor. In that role she acts as the co-lead of Kohl's Injury Prevention Program and Chair of the Safe Kids Southeastern Pennsylvania Coalition. She oversees and organizes community child safety seat inspection stations, Kohl's Injury Prevention Program activities, the Safety Center at CHOP, Kohl's Mobile Safety Center Van and various community events. She is a certified car seat technician and instructor, has published peer-reviewed injury prevention stdies, and is a national speaker on injury prevention topics.
Mark R. Zonfrillo, MD, MSCE is a Pediatric Emergency Physician, a Clinical Epidemiologist, and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Zonfrillo is the Associate Director of Research in the Division of Emergency Medicine at CHOP, and also serves on the Executive Committee for the Council on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Pennsylvania Chapter of the of the American Academy of Pediatrics (PA-AAP), and as pediatric advisor for the PA-AAP's Traffic Injury Prevention Project, overseeing the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's child passenger safety initiatives.