Here's what we know about the 5 victims of the Philadelphia mass shooting

The incident started around 8:30 p.m. on the eve of the Fourth of July in the southwestern part of the city.

Thursday, July 6, 2023
Family, friends mourn 5 victims of deadly Philadelphia mass shooting
They came in grief to Salt and Light Church, in support of each other, celebrating the lives of five people killed in the mass shooting in Kingsessing.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- On Monday, a mass shooting in the city of Philadelphia claimed the lives of five people and left four others wounded.

While a suspect is now in custody, friends and family members of the victims are deep in mourning after another deadly show of gun violence.

An interfaith prayer vigil was held on Wednesday night at the Salt and Light Church in Kingsessing, where memorials and vigils honored the dead.

There, the community rallied around those who were left mourning.

Family and friends spoke about their loved ones who were killed in the shooting:

Joseph Wamah, Jr., 31, from the 1600 block of S. 56th St.

Investigators initially believed only four people were killed. The fifth victim, Joseph Wamah, lived alone and wasn't found until several hours after the shooting.

Now, investigators believe Wamah was the first victim killed.

Wamah's two sisters described their brother as a loving man and a skilled sketch artist.

"I'm going to miss that beautiful smile, I really am. He had the best hugs, he took care of his family," said Josephine Wamah.

Dymir Stanton, 29, from the 1700 block of S. Frazier St.

Yvonne Alexander from Southwest Philadelphia says she is close friends with victim Dymir Stanton's family, and knew him since he was a little boy.

"We're all hurt and we're just trying to find out what motivated this young man to do what he did. He damaged a lot of people," said Alexander about the shooting suspect.

Ralph Moralis, 59, from the 1700 block of S. 56th St.

Family members say Ralph Moralis was days away from walking his daughter down the aisle.

"His daughter gets married Sunday. She's grieving, trying to plan her wedding, missing her father walking her down the aisle and having to do a funeral," said Karen Gleason, a family member said.

The Moralis family told Action News they are finding comfort through prayer.

Tyrique Glasgow, a mentor and founder of the Young Chances Foundation, is Moralis' cousin.

"It hurts, I'm not going to sugarcoat it," Glasgow said. "He was the one that, regardless of any family function, had that smile."

Dejaun Brown, 15

Tyrique Glasgow was also a mentor to 15-year-old Dejuan Brown, who died while protecting his 13-year-old friend from gunfire.

"That's what we as a community need to understand - when we see our other brothers, our community members down, the risk to going back to save them, if we all had that approach, I think our community would be in a better position than it is," Glasgow said.

The younger boy was hit twice in the legs, but will survive. ABC News spoke with the boy's father, Rafiq Fitzgerald Sr.

"He was a hero, if you ask me. He died trying to protect his best friend," Fitzgerald said. "In my eyes, Daujan's like Superman. I'm so grateful for him."

Lashyd Merritt, 22, from the 5500 block of Greenway Ave.

Action News was also able to speak with Marie Merritt who said her son Lashyd was a good kid who loved his job, his girlfriend, and nieces and nephews.

Marie Merritt spoke about her son Lashyd, one of the victims of the Philadelphia mass shooting, to Action News.

"You didn't have to ask him to get anything for Christmas. This man would just have it," Marie said just hours after her son was gunned down.

Marie said Lashyd, the youngest of five siblings, was happy. She even said the family was waiting for him to marry his girlfriend.

She said her son was going out for a snack during a break from work when he was shot.

"All the stuff that goes on in Philadelphia, he wasn't a part of that. The violence, he wasn't part of that," Marie said. "So young and so bright."

Marie made one message clear to the shooting suspect.

"You took my son. You took my baby. My message to him, you didn't have to do what you did. Whatever thoughts, whatever was going on in your head, you should've gotten help. You should leave people alone and get some help," she said.

Before the vigil ended, several families of the victims gathered in front with clergy members around them. They embraced each other as the community was asked to support them through this difficult time.

The shooting was first reported at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the eve of the Fourth of July in the southwestern part of the city.

Police say people called 911 to report a shooting and others flagged down officers.

READ | Philadelphia mass shooting suspect left behind a will, had been acting agitated: DA

Arriving officers found several gunshot victims at the scene, and soon after heard more gunfire and ran towards the sound.

That's when officials say officers encountered 40-year-old Kimbrady Carriker, and where police were able to corner the suspect.

Carriker has since been charged with 11 total offenses, some of which include murder, attempted murder, reckless endangerment, and aggravated assault.

A police walk is set to take place on Thursday at 6 p.m. to continue to honor the victims of the mass shooting.

The Philadelphia Police Department and clergy ask anyone attending to join them at 56th and Chester streets.