Police: No suspects yet in off-duty officer shooting

HUNTING PARK - December 31, 2009

Philadelphia Police Officer Martin Campbell, 23, was shot in the leg and his friend, Rasheen Allen, was fatally shot in the head during an attempted robbery on Wednesday night.

RELATED: Click here for a picture of Rasheen Allen

Two men were arrested shortly after the shooting, and during the arrest one of the men, 18-year-old Tyreek Maxwell, was shot and wounded by police after he pulled a gun on officers.

RELATED: Click here for a picture of Tyreek Maxwell

However, on Thursday afternoon, police said the two men captured were not involved, which means an intense manhunt for the suspects is still underway.

Campbell remained in serious condition Thursday.

"The officer is in a drug-induced coma because of the nature of his injuries, part of which was the nicking of an artery in his leg," said Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey. "They want to keep him still, keep him quiet. Plus, there was a bone that was broken as well."

The shooting of Campbell and his friend happened at approximately 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. Police say Officer Campbell, Rasheen Allen and another friend, all said to be in their 20s, were walking on the 4400 block of North Marshall Street when they were approached by two men.

One of those men announced a robbery and opened fire, striking Campbell in the left leg. Another shot was then fired, hitting Allen in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

After shooting Allen and Campbell, police say the two suspects then fled on foot south on Marshall and then west on Cayuga Street.

The man with the gun is described as a black man about six feet tall, a thin build, with facial hair. He was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and brown boots. The man who was with him is described as a black man, about 5'6" tall with a goatee. He was wearing a black jacket, blue jeans, a gray hooded sweatshirt and a black skull cap.

According to Lt. Frank Vanore of the Philadelphia Police, Officer Campbell was still armed even though he was off-duty. However, Lt. Vanore said, Campbell did not discharge his weapon. Campbell was said to be visiting someone in the area at the time of the shooting.

Speaking at the press conference, Mayor Michael Nutter said this scene is "reminiscent of other serious situations that we've had in the city and we're very hopeful for Officer Campbell."

Commissioner Charles Ramsey said, "This is one more example of the kind of violence that takes place all too often on our streets."

As of Tuesday, with the year almost over, the city of 1.4 million people had 302 homicides in 2009, down more than 22 percent from 2007, according to the Philadelphia Police Department.

Anyone with information is asked to call Homicide Detectives at 215-686-3334 or 215-686-3335.

The U.S. Marshal's office is offering a $5,000 reward for information in this case.

Man shot by police is not a suspect

18-year-old Tyreek Maxwell was shot and wounded by police Wednesday night, shortly after Officer Campbell's shooting.

Around 10:00 p.m., police received a 911 call about suspects matching the descriptions of those sought in the shooting of Officer Campbell.

Investigators say a bomb squad unit in the area approached the two men and told them to put their hands against the wall.

One reportedly complied, but Maxwell allegedly pulled a gun. At that point, one officer discharged his weapon and shot the suspect in the groin.

Maxwell was taken to Temple Hospital, the same hospital where Officer Campbell was taken hours earlier.

Maxwell, of the 3500 block of North 11th Street, is charged with Aggravated Assault, Violation of Uniform Firearm Act, and other related offenses.

Police said these men are not connected to Officer Campbell's shooting.

Copyright © 2023 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.