NJ officials warn against eating wild mushrooms

TRENTON, N.J. - August 24, 2011

The state's Poison Information and Education System says two people were hospitalized in Hudson County in addition to one in Monmouth County and one in Ocean County after eating what they thought were edible mushrooms.

Officials say the recent rainfall spawned a bumper crop of mushrooms in the Garden State.

NJPIES executive and medical director Steven Marcus told The Express-Times of Easton, Pa., the center has received more than a dozen additional calls over the last 24 to 48 hours.

The center says there's no easy way to tell the difference between poisonous and harmless mushrooms.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning include intense vomiting and diarrhea.


Information from: The Express-Times, http://www.lehighvalleylive.com

Copyright © 2023 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.