2 Temple football players charged with assault

WPVI logo
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
VIDEO: 2 Temple football players charged with assault
EMBED <>More Videos

Two members of Temple University's football team surrendered to Philadelphia police Monday night to face assault charges.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Two members of Temple University's football team were charged with assault early Tuesday in connection with an off-campus incident back in January.

Dion Dawkins and Haason Reddick surrendered to Philadelphia police Monday night.

Both have been released on $10,000 bail each.

The charges stem from a fight in the early morning hours of January 18th at Club 1800 at 5th and Berks.

The alleged victim, who is also a Temple student, says he tried to intervene when a friend was getting beat up by several members of the Temple football team.

Police say he was kicked in the eye as he was held by Dawkins and others, suffering a fractured right orbital bone.

Action News is told the injured student, a senior, medically withdrew from the university, but hopes to resume classes in the fall.

Their lawyer says they are innocent and are the victims of false allegations by those who actually started the fight. He says they are looking forward to their day in court.

The university has suspended both players from the football team.

The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Dawkins started on the offensive line last season. He's from Rahway, New Jersey.

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Reddick played in nine games last year on the defensive line. He's from Camden, New Jersey.

Temple University released the following statement:

Temple University is aware of allegations of improper conduct by two of its student-athletes at an off-campus location in January. The university has, and will continue, to fully cooperate with the Philadelphia Police Department in its investigation and will take appropriate actions outlined in the Student Conduct Code. The two students have been suspended from football team activities pending further investigation.