A very dramatic demo of danger of deep fat frying turkey when oil is overheated. @menlofire firefighters also show why you should not use water to extinguish the fire. They show flareup of just one cup of water. #abc7now pic.twitter.com/rlkCSl073l— David Louie (@abc7david) December 20, 2018
They also compared how quickly a fire can spread in a watered tree, versus a dry tree.
Fire officials stress preparedness is key.
Harold Schapelhommen, with the Menlo Park Fire Protection District, said, "Working fire extinguishers, working smoke detectors, a fire safety plan, all those different things that help people understand what to do."
Don't forget the obvious-- keep Christmas trees away from candles and open fireplaces.