Apartment fire ruled accidental in Newark, Del.

WPVI logo
Thursday, March 24, 2016

NEWARK, Del. (WPVI) -- The fire marshal has determined that a fire that forced several residents from their apartments in Newark, Delaware was accidental.

The blaze started around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Foxwood Apartments in the unit block of Fox Hall.

Crews arrived and quickly went to work, getting the fire under control within a little more than a half hour.

Officials say the fire originated in a second floor apartment, and was caused by a candle.

The fire caused approximately $100,000 in damages.

There were no injuries reported, but two cats perished in the fire.

The Red Cross was called to assist more than a dozen residents.