Attacked SEPTA bus driver speaks

May 8, 2009 8:36:56 PM PDT
Philadelphia Police announced the arrests of two people who allegedly attacked a SEPTA bus driver. Surveillance video showed two men boarding a bus from King of Prussia to Center City Philadelphia and then they attack the driver.

"My reaction is that justice should be done, first of all, and there's no need to do that period," bus driver Esteban Santiago said about the beating he received on April 2.

Yesterday, police had no idea who the two men were caught on tape, but once the video went on television, things changed.

"I'm happy to report that we received numerous tips about the incident after people viewed the video. Central Detectives were able to develop those tips," Lt. Frank Vanore of the Philadelphia Police said.

18-year-old Carlos Masip turned himself in Friday night.

Earlier in the day, the other suspect, a juvenile, was taken in.

"The juvenile was taken into custody from the 2000 block of Anchor Street in the lower Northeast. He is 17 years of age. He's going to be charged with robbery and similar offenses," Vanore said.

As Santiago sat on his porch with his wife Friday night, he still could not understand the ferocity of the beating.

He says the juvenile had money, but refused to pay for a full ride from King of Prussia to Philadelphia. He said the teen became angry when Santiago refused to give him a transfer for free.

"He threatened me and said 'Do you know what I can do to you?' I said 'there's a camera on the bus.' He looked around looking for the camera but that didn't stop his intention and that's where you see the first blow and he grabbed me by the neck, and then came blows after blows," Santiago said.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments