Chemical fumes force Pa. school evacuation

March 28, 2011 10:32:01 AM PDT
Students had to be evacuated from a Pennsylvania charter school after two cleaning products produced a noxious gas when mixed together.

Fire officials in Allentown say the Roberto Clemente Charter School had to be cleared of students and staff Monday morning. Two employees were taken to a hospital because of breathing problems caused by the gas but no students were affected.

The students were taken to a nearby gymnastics training center and would be allowed to return to the building after air quality tests found no danger.

Assistant Chief Lee Laubach says a member of the cleaning staff mixed chlorine bleach with another product, producing the odor.

Load Comments