Fire damages church in Belvedere, Del.

September 12, 2012 2:54:37 PM PDT
Firefighters battled an afternoon fire that badly damaged a church in Belvedere, Delaware Wednesday afternoon.

The fire started around 2:00 p.m. at the Celestial Church of Christ in the 1100 block of Newport Gap Pike.

The fire was brought under control within minutes, and no injuries were reported.

Investigators determined that the fire originated in the worship area of the church and was caused by an unattended candle.

Officials say the interior of the building sustained heavy fire and smoke damage that could total close to $30,000 dollars.

Delaware State Fire Marshal's office has officially ruled the fire an accident.


Load Comments