NJ shop failed electric inspection before boardwalk fire

Pictured: Images from viewer video showing the fire on the boardwalk in Seaside Park, N.J. on Thursday, September 12th. (COURTESY: Jersey Shore Hurricane News)
October 24, 2013 5:41:45 AM PDT
One of the stores on a New Jersey boardwalk that was destroyed by fire failed an electrical inspection after Superstorm Sandy.

Records obtained by the Asbury Park Press show Kohr's Frozen Custard failed a rough inspection of its meter and electrical equipment. There's no paperwork to indicate the ice cream shop received a certificate to have the power turned on.

The shop's lawyer, Mark Antin, tells the newspaper his client believed it was the responsibility of his landlord to arrange any inspections.

The landlord owns an adjacent store which passed its inspection.

No one is blaming the failed inspection for the Sept. 12 blaze, which destroyed dozens of businesses along the boardwalk in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.

Investigators determined the fire started in wiring under the boardwalk. ___

Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com


Load Comments