MIDDLETOWN, Connecticut -- Wesleyan University says at least 11 students have been hospitalized with symptoms of overdoses on the drug known as "Molly."
Dean Michael Whaley, vice president of student affairs, said in a letter to the campus that one of the students, a sophomore, was in critical condition at Middlesex Hospital on Sunday. That evening, Middlesex police said two patients at Hartford Hospital had been elevated to critical condition, and two were in serious condition.
The university says it's aware of 11 students being treated for overdose symptoms consistent with the use of Molly, a stimulant psychoactive drug also known as methylone. No other information about their conditions was released.
Middletown police Capt. Gary Wallace said the side effects can be life threatening and police are trying to help physicians "in obtaining any and all information."
The drug can vary radically in potency and can sharply drive up body temperature, which can lead to liver, kidney or cardiovascular failure, or death.
Whaley said university police and residence officials are investigating, along with Middlesex police. He asked students to check on their friends.
11 Wesleyan students in Connecticut hospitals after overdosing on drug Molly
More TOP STORIES News