The company is not commenting on the price of the sale, spokeswoman Mami Imada said. The deal is expected to be finalized by March.
Sony makes most of the LCD TVs it sells in North America at the plant, and will continue to do so on an outsourcing basis after the sale, she said.
The plant's 3,300 workers will not be affected by the sale.
The maker of Bravia flat-panel TVs and Cyber-shot digital cameras lost over a billion dollars last fiscal year, its first annual red ink in 14 years. It is forecasting an even worse 120 billion yen ($1.3 billion) loss for the fiscal year through March 2010.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys