The House was expected to vote Wednesday on a bill that would limit when and how banks raise interest rates.
Congress passed similar legislation last spring. But lawmakers gave banks until mid-February to prepare for the changes.
Rep. Barney Frank, who chairs the House Financial Services Committee, said lenders have abused the grace period by raising interest rates ahead of the bill's enactment date.
Also on Wednesday, Frank's panel was expected to vote on a separate bill that would give more money and power to the Securities and Exchange Commission.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys