IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman says a flood of people came forward as an Oct. 15 deadline approached for the amnesty program. The program generally allowed people to avoid criminal prosecution if they agreed to pay taxes, interest and penalties.
Shulman says those taxpayers represent billions of dollars in taxes returning to the U.S.
The voluntary disclosure program was a major part of a U.S. crackdown on offshore tax havens. Swiss bank UBS AG earlier this year agreed to disclose names of some 4,450 taxpayers believed to be hiding income.
Several UBS customers have been charged criminally.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys