Child found unconscious in smoky garage

SEAFORD, Del. - December 8, 2009

A state trooper found the 1-year-old Monday night in a garage on Coverdale Road near Seaford. Police say he was unconscious because of smoke from a kerosene heater in the garage.

The trooper gave him first aid, and the child began to breathe and was flown to University of Maryland Hospital.

Police have charged the boy's mother and father, 40-year-old Sherita Stanley and 57-year-old Alton Jones, with reckless endangering and endangering a child's welfare. They are being held at Sussex Correction Institute.

Police say the two left the boy alone for several hours and asked an 8-year-old boy to care for him.

Copyright © 2024 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.