Woman receives electric shock on Del. sidewalk

ELSMERE, Del. - December 28, 2010

It happened just after 5:45 p.m. on Centerville Road in Elsmere.

That's when, authorities say, the woman stepped on a metal plate on the sidewalk covered in snow and received an electric shock.

Police say an exposed wire came in contact with the metal plate, leading to the shock.

The woman was treated with non-life-threatening injuries. She was with her 14-year-old son who was not injured.

The road was shut down for a short time as was the power in the area.

Police said on Tuesday that the grate and wire were owned by the Delaware Department of Transportation who responded to the scene and made the necessary repairs.

Copyright © 2021 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.