Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky arrested again, sent to jail

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - December 7, 2011

Action News' Kenneth Moton was the only TV news reporter inside a Centre County District courthouse Wednesday as the former Penn State defensive coordinator heard the two new chargers against him.

Action News cameras rolled as Sandusky walked in handcuffs into the courthouse charged with sexually assaulting two more male victims.

RELATED: WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT - Read the latest Grand Jury Report on Victims 9 and 10 (Mobile users: CLICK HERE)

Once inside the courtroom, Moton reports Sandusky asked the judge one question: "Can I have my attorney?"

His attorney, Joseph Amendola, was on the way and once he arrived, Amendola was able to lower the bail a great deal from what the prosecutor wanted - $1-million.

"We always anticipated this. It's disappointing that the Attorney General's Office chose to do it this way. Jerry has always been willing, and we have made it known to the commonwealth, he's been willing to turn himself in, both initially with the initial set of charges on November 5th and also with any new charges that might be filed," Sandusky's attorney Joseph Amendola said.

Later in the day, police released photos Sanduskyfrom the courthouse and during the booking process.

Kenneth Moton reports that inside the courtroom Amendola said he was notified of Sandusky's second arrest through the media.

Pa. Attorney General Linda Kelly says the two new victims came forward after Sandusky's initial arrests last month.

Amendola sees it another way.

"I think with all the talk about money suits and suing Penn State and suing Second Mile, that everyone now knows has $9-million in assets, it's an invitation for more people to come forward, who may not necessarily be forthright," Amendola said.

Also on Wednesday, the Second Mile charity linked to the Penn State abuse scandal says it's laying off some employees.

Sandusky was already charged with 40 counts of child sex abuse involving eight young boys over a 15-year span. He has denied being a pedophile and has vowed to fight the case.

During the courtroom proceedings today, Kenneth Moton reported the Deputy Attorney General wanted to speak with Sandusky and his lawyer about the case saying, "If you can make some time for Bob Costas, you can make some time for me."

He was referring to recent interviews Sandusky took part in with NBC and The New York Times.

In those interviews, Sandusky has said he showered and horsed around with boys, but never sexually abused them.

"He maintained his innocence, he's maintained his innocence all the way through," Amendola said.

Action News spoke with Philadelphia attorney Tom Kline who represents one of the alleged victims, but wouldn't say which one for the young man's protection.

"Mr. Sandusky should be off the streets and we have seen a step in that direction, and a further step in that direction," Kline said.

According to the grand jury, Victim 9 first encountered Sandusky in approximately 2004, while participating in a summer camp organized by The Second Mile, when he was 11 or 12 years old. Sandusky allegedly approached the young man, engaged him in conversation and expressed an interest in spending more time with the child.

Kelly said Sandusky allegedly took the boy to numerous Penn State University football games and gave him gifts and money.

Later, the grand jury found that during overnight stays at Sandusky's home, behavior such as hugging, rubbing, cuddling and tickling - initially viewed as acts of affection - escalated to sexual assaults. Additional sex acts were allegedly performed in the swimming pool and Jacuzzi of a hotel in the State College area, at times when the pool area was not occupied.

The grand jury indictment states during one assault in Sandusky's basement, Victim 9 testified that "on at least one occasion he screamed for help, knowing that Sandusky's wife was upstairs, but no one ever came to help him."

According to the presentment, Sandusky told Victim 9 that he loved and cared for him and urged him to keep their activities secret.

In court today, the Attorney General's Office argued for that $1-million bail because investigators say Sandusky contacted Victim 9 just a few days after his November 5th arrest.

In the case of Victim 10, the boy was referred to The Second Mile in 1997, when he was 10 years old, at the recommendation of a counselor because of difficulties in his home life. Sandusky allegedly approached the boy during a summer camp and later made arrangements to take the boy to several Penn State Football games where the boy played football at Holuba Hall on the Penn State campus, attended "tailgate parties" prior to the game and spent time at the Sandusky home.

According to the grand jury, "wrestling" sessions in the basement of Sandusky's home eventually escalated to incidents where Sandusky performed oral sex on the boy. Victim 10 also detailed incidents which occurred at a swimming pool on the Penn State Campus, along with an encounter in a car when Sandusky allegedly exposed himself and requested oral sex from the boy.

As in other cases, Sandusky allegedly gave the boy gifts and frequently told the boy that he loved him.

Sandusky is charged with four counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and two counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all first-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and $25,000 fines.

Additionally, he is charged with one count of indecent assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of children, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and $15,000 fines.

Sandusky is also charged with one count of indecent assault and two counts of corruption of minors, all first-degree misdemeanors, each punishable by up to five years in prison and $10,000 fines.

"Jerry's scratching his head saying 'What's next?' I said, 'Don't ask that question. Don't ask 'Can it get worse?' because it can and we just have to be prepared for whatever comes down the road," Amendola said.

Once Sandusky posts bail, he will be placed on house arrest wearing a home electronic monitor bracelet.

Officials say he is to have no contact with victims or witnesses and no unsupervised visits or contact with minors.

Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for Breaking News Alerts.

Copyright © 2024 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.