Officials: Smoking sparked East Mount Airy fire

July 3, 2012 2:58:20 PM PDT
Firefighters rescued two people trapped on the roof of an East Mount Airy home consumed by flames early Tuesday morning.

Fire crews arrived around 1:30 a.m. to find heavy flames showing from the second and third floors of the twin home, located on the 6800 block of Stenton Avenue.

Firefighters reacted quickly when they noticed two people trapped on the roof. They raised ladders to the pair and were able to get them off the burning home.

One person was injured and he taken to the hospital to be checked out for minor injuries.

Officials say the fire originated in a third floor bedroom, and are contributing the cause to careless smoking.