Flooding brings airport delays, road closures in the area

PHILADELPHIA - July 28, 2013

Philadelphia set a new record rainfall of 7.72 inches, breaking the old record of 6.63 inches set back in 1999.

The heavy rains brought plenty of problems.

Philadelphia International Airport lost power for several hours in portions of terminal A-East and West and backup generators failed.

Some of the power was restored shortly before 10:00 Sunday night.

Crews continue to work through the night to restore the rest of the power.

The airport is also experiencing departure flight delays around 30 minutes.

Arrival flights are experiencing up to 86 minute delays.

Passengers were left packed in the airport for a number of hours.

"Been up since about 7 and had delays all day. We've been running around, going different ways to get here. We finally got here but it looks like a 20 hour day," said Steven Yeager.

The flooding also caused Pennsylvania State Police to close multiple ramps of I-95.

The I-95 northbound ramp to Broad Street was closed as well as the Broad Street ramp to southbound I-95.

Meanwhile in New Jersey, high waters stopped traffic on the 42 Freway and southbound 295.

Motorists weren't the only ones impacted by the rain.

It's an unfortunate déjà vu for Mandi Hawkins and her neighbors who say storm after storm, the 100 block of Erie Street in Barrington, New Jersey drowns in floodwaters.

"Carrying my 3-month-old through three feet of water is not fun at all," said Mandi Hawkins.

"Anytime there's significant rain, the drains back up so along Erie Avenue, we call it Lake Erie," said Carol Hayden.

Emergency crews deployed pumps to speed up the cleanup process.

Fortunately the homes escaped serious damage but down the road at the Willows Apartment complex, people weren't as fortunate.

Norma Guzman's apartment off Clements Bridge Road got soaked in sewage water.

"My granddaughter lives with me, she shouldn't have to be out through this," said Guzman.

Guzman says this is the second time in three years that her apartment's been saturated in sewage.

"Either they move me or I'm moving out, not gonna tolerate this," she said.

Waves of storm water crashed along Admiral Wilson Boulevard.

While the rain came pouring down, a motorcyclist put his trip on hold. Other motorists took their chances in the deep puddles.

The driver of an Audi traveling down Route 30 in Colligswood wasn't so lucky. Portions of Route 30 were closed.

Drivers are strongly warned never to drive through standing water.

Despite widespread severe flooding, no injuries have been reported.

Copyright © 2024 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.