Use his recipe below to create your own Salmon Don or be creative and add your own touch of flavor to the recipe.
Tuna Bar | Facebook | Instagram
205 Race St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
Tuna Bar - Salmon Don
- 5oz. Salmon sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Ikura (Salmon Caviar)
- Shredded seaweed
- 1 Tablespoon Spicy Sesame oil (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Sushi Rice (recipe below)
- Wasabi, Ginger for garnish, Soy sauce
To make the sushi rice -
- 1 Cup Sushi Rice (see instructions below)
- 1 Cup Water
- Rinse rice in a strainer until the starch is removed and water runs clear. About 2 minutes
- Soak 10-15 minutes
- Bring the rice to a boil in a small sauce pan and bring it to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes with lid on tight as possible (Note: Do not lift lid or stir)
- Turn off heat and let the rice sit for 5-10 minutes
Part 2 - Make Sushi Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- Tablespoon Sugar
Mix above ingredients and let it marinate.
Part 3 - Combine Rice & Vinegar to make Sushi Rice
- Move cooked rice with a wooden spatula or plastic spatula
Note: Don't use a metal spoon with a non-metal bowl (Metal reacts negatively with vinegar)
- Mix in the sushi vinegar (above) and evenly (avoid "mashing" the rice)
Note: try cutting into the rice and mixing it as you would do for meringue
Step 2: Build Bowl -
- Place a 1 cup of sushi rice on the bottom of a bowl. If you like it spicy place the hot sesame oil on top of the sushi rice. Place sliced salmon on top, followed by Ikura, place seaweed, toasted sesame seeds.
- Finishing it with the spicy sushi rice
Note: You can eat this dish by placing a little wasabi on the fish dipping it into the soy sauce