Suspect sought, 2 others in custody after attack on Philadelphia school officers

WPVI logo
Friday, May 6, 2016

NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Police say 2 suspects are in custody and one still at large following the violent assault of two school officers in Northeast Philadelphia.

Investigators have identified the suspect still on the run as 23-year-old Edwin Burgos of West Huntingdon Street in Philadelphia.

PHOTOS: Officers attacked in Northeast Philadelphia

Anyone with information on Burgos' whereabouts is asked to contact the Philadelphia Police Northeast Detective Division at 215-686-3153/3154 or dial 911.

Police say all tips given will be kept confidential.

The attack, caught on cell phone video Monday afternoon, left one officer with a broken jaw and the other with bruises.

Police release surveillance of officers being attacked in Northeast Philadelphia.

Two other suspects in the case were arrested earlier this week.

Police say 19-year-old Roger Millington turned himself in on Wednesday after surveillance images of the violent May 2nd attack aired on local television news stations, including Action News.

Millington, who police say is homeless, has been charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.

The second suspect, a juvenile, was arrested on Thursday. The circumstances surrounding the arrest have not been disclosed.

The juvenile has been charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.

The incident occurred around 3:30 p.m. Monday on the corner of Cottman and Castor avenues in Northeast Philadelphia.

Authorities say two school police officers were escorting Northeast High School students after dismissal when they noticed two adults assaulting a student.

The officers separated the student and the adults to stop the assault.

That's when one of the adults threw one of the officers to the ground. Another suspect punched the second officer in the face and a third male joined the other adults.

All three began to assault the officers.

One officer suffered a broken jaw and lost some teeth; the other officer had some bruising after reportedly being punched in the face and pushed to the ground.

Neither officer was armed.