Prosecutor withdraws from trooper assault case

December 20, 2007 8:11:39 PM PST
An unexpected change in the investigation into allegations that New Jersey state troopers sexually assaulted a university student. The Mercer County Prosecutor's office had been heading the probe into the December 7th incident.

But county Prosecutor Joseph Bocchini Junior asked today to withdraw from the case, citing statements he made about the case in an interview with the Star-Ledger of Newark.

In a letter sent today to state Attorney General Anne Milgram, Bocchini said his remarks -- including comments that the case was a "nightmare" -- could be considered inappropriate.

Milgram agreed and said tonight that the investigation would now be handled by the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

No charges have been filed in the matter.


Load Comments