Man using torch sets his house on fire

January 22, 2008 7:05:08 PM PST
A man using a propane torch to thaw a frozen water pipe inadvertently set fire to his house Monday, authorities said. John Miller Sr. was working with the propane torch in a crawl space when a wall caught fire, filling the house with smoke, said Shawnee Township Fire Chief Tim Mosher. .

Miller, who managed to flee the home before firefighters arrived, said the flame of the propane torch had been on the water pipe for only a few minutes.

"I've done it a hundred times and never had a problem," Miller said.

Mosher said damage to the house was about several thousand dollars.

"You have a hard enough time and then something like this happens," Miller said.

Lima is about 70 miles southwest of Toledo.


Load Comments