CBS 3's Mendte off air during investigation

June 2, 2008 1:42:48 PM PDT
An attorney representing KYW-TV anchor Larry Mendte says the FBI searched his client's home in a case involving former co-anchor Alycia Lane -- and her attorney suggests that it involves a possible invasion of her privacy.

Mendte's attorney, Michael A. Schwartz, said FBI agents approached his client Thursday and searched his Chestnut Hill home in connection with "claims made by Alycia Lane."

"Larry is cooperating fully with the investigators and hopes to promptly reach a resolution of this matter," he said Saturday night.

Lane's attorney, Paul R. Rosen, denied that his client had made "any claims involving anyone."

Channel 3 released a statement to Action news. It says " late last week CBS 3 became aware of an investigation by the U.S. Attorney's office regarding anchor Larry Mendte. CBS 3 is cooperating fully with that office in this matter." The statement went on to say Mendte will not be on broadcasts, pending further investigation.

"The investigation by the FBI and the direction it took was done by the federal government and not by Alycia Lane," Rosen said. "She was shocked when she learned of any invasion of her privacy."

The station said it was cooperating fully with the U.S. Attorney's Office in its investigation involving Mendte.

Mendte, 51, who has been with the CBS-owned station for nearly five years, has won 43 Mid-Atlantic Emmy awards.

Lane was fired in January after she was accused of hitting a New York City police officer the month before. Felony charges against her were later dropped and a judge further reduced the charges in February, agreeing to dismiss them if she stays out of trouble for six months.

---

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com

Information from wire reports was used in this story


Load Comments