Generator may be to blame for CO poisoning

February 1, 2009 3:27:36 PM PST
More than a dozen people were sickened after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a birthday party in West Oak Lane. Fire crews were called to H&H Community Development Center in the 2000 block of East Haines Street around 8:30 p.m. for a reported carbon monoxide incident.

75 people were attending the party when several party goers began experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, prompting the call to fire officials.

At least 17 people were hospitalized due to their symptoms - 6 of which were children between the ages of 3 and 16. Two of the children were rushed to a local hospital in non-life threatening condition.

Officials from the fire marshal's office are investigating to determine a cause. Early indications are pointing to a generator used to fill up balloons as the source of the carbon monoxide.

Officials fear more people may have been subjected to the fumes.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include light-headedness, dizziness, nausea, and headache.

Anyone with those symptoms who attended the party is asked to seek immediate medical attention.

(Information provided by The Associated Press was used in this article)

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments