Lawyer: Norwegian attacker makes demands

This is an undated image obtained from the Twitter page of Anders Behring Breivik, 32, who was arrested Friday July 22, 2011 in connection to the twin attacks on a youth camp and a government building in Oslo, Norway. Breivik is a suspect in both the shootings and the Oslo explosion Friday. (AP Photo/Twitter, Anders Behring Breivik)
August 2, 2011 8:09:24 AM PDT
The confessed killer in Norway's twin terror attacks that claimed 77 lives has presented a long list of "unrealistic" demands, including the resignation of the government and that his mental condition be investigated by Japanese specialists, his defense lawyer said Tuesday.

Geir Lippestad told the Associated Press his client has two lists of demands. One consists of requests common among inmates such as for cigarettes and civilian clothing. The other is "unrealistic, far, far from the real world and shows he doesn't know how society works," Lippestad said by telephone.

Lippestad said 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik links this second list to his willingness to share information about two other alleged terrorist cells that Breivik has mentioned during questioning.

"They are completely impossible to fulfill," Lippestad said, adding that although Breivik has agreed to be examined by local psychiatrists, he also wants to be investigated by Japanese specialists.

"He claims the Japanese understand the idea and values of honor and that a Japanese (specialist) would understand him a lot better than any European would."

Lippestad said his client has also demanded complete political reform, in which he wants to be assigned a key role. "His demands here includes the complete overthrowing of both the Norwegian and European societies," he said, noting it includes the resignation of the Norwegian government but declined to give further details. "But it shows that he doesn't understand the situation he's in."

Lippestad said he last met his client on Friday, but has scheduled another meeting with him later this week.

Breivik claims he carried out the attacks as part of a network of modern-day crusaders - the Knights Templar - to launch a revolution against a Europe spoiled by Muslim immigration, and that there are other cells ready to strike.

Investigators say they have found no signs of a larger conspiracy. Still, they are searching his computer and cell phone records for any signs of contact with other right-wing extremists who may have helped or influenced him.

At a news conference later Tuesday, Prosecutor Christian Hatlo said police had now finalized its investigation at the site of the bombing in Norway's government quarter that left eight dead, but are still working to secure evidence at the site of the Labor Party youth camp massacre.

Rescue workers have now begun to clean up the Utoya island camp by collecting and returning personal items left behind by the victims, he said.

Ronny Frantzen, one of the first rescue workers to reach the island during the gun spree, told national news agency NTB that he returned to Utoya with mixed emotions.

"It was frightening to come out to the island and see the tent camp where these horrible acts had been committed," he said. "But even if we're painfully aware of the tragedy that happened here, it's not something that is visible to a very large degree here on Utoya."

One of the eight volunteers from Frantzen's aid organization was killed by Breivik on the island.

The July 22 bombing in Norway's government quarter in Oslo killed eight people and the shooting massacre at an annual summer camp held by the Labor Party's youth wing on Utoya island claimed an additional 69 lives.

If Breivik is tried and convicted of terrorism he could face up to 21 years in prison. An alternative custody arrangement, however, could keep him behind bars indefinitely.

---

Nordstrom reported from Stockholm. Ian MacDougall in Oslo contributed to this report.


Load Comments