Police were called around 4:30 pm. to the Lincoln Wood Apartments on the 9800 block of Germantown Pike in Springfield Township.
Flourtown fire officials say an elderly woman was driving a Volvo when it appears she accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake, slamming into three gas meters at the apartments.
"We could not initially shut off the gas because it sheared it off right below the shut off valve. We called PECO. PECO was unable to shut it off in the street," Flourtown Fire Chief George Wilmot said.
A fire truck was brought in to hose down the gas leak and prevent a spark that could ignite an explosion.
PECO determined it would be best to remove the car then seal the leak at the break.
The gas leak led to the evacuation of building 3 and 4; dozens of residents could only wait.
"I was sitting there watching the Olympics and we got told by the fire deptarment to get out," resident James Gush said.
Then the thumbs up from officials came nearly four hours after the ordeal began.
The leak was sealed.
PECO inspected the affected apartments and residents were allowed to return home.
Three units remained evacuated Sunday night.
Those residents are staying with friends and family.
The elderly driver was uninjured. It is unclear if she will be cited.