A look at the fundraiser murder suspect

May 27, 2008 3:44:01 PM PDT
Congregants who witnessed the weekend killing of a church leader are still in shock over the tragedy. Now, associates of the veterinarian-turned-murder suspect are talking about what they knew of him. The people who worked with and respected Veterinary Doctor Monir George are absolutely speechless about what happened this weekend.

"I'm pretty much blown away right now. So, I don't know what to think." Dr. Carlos Hodges worked with Dr. George at Valley Central Veterinary Hospital in Whitehall Township and says he has nothing but praise for the man, now accused of murder.

Hodges says Dr. George was, "passionate about what he believed in. He loved animals. Loved to treat and be around a companion animal practice as well as an emergency practice in the evening."

The shooting occurred Sunday night at Christiana Hilton Hotel in Delaware. Investigators say officials from a Coptic Church in Maryland were holding a fundraiser when the gunman approached 63-year-old Malak Michael, a church deacon, and shot him in the chest with a semi automatic handgun.

George Kamal, the victim's nephew was among those who tackled the suspect and held him until police arrived. "I just jumped across the guy. He has his gun going towards my face... I wasn't even care. My mind wasn't working. It's about your reaction," said Kamal.

The 58-year-old suspect is a former church parishioner who was reportedly angry about plans to build a new church in Delaware. Dr. George also owns the AAA Animal Clinic on MacArthur Road in Whitehall Township and neighboring business owners are simply stunned.

Bob Dimbokowigz tells Action News, "Well, it's hard to believe. You know I mean? The guy seemed pretty level headed. He didn't seem like the kind of person who would fly off the handle sort of thing. But, you never know."

Delaware investigators says it's a good thing Monir George was quickly subdued, because he was actually carrying two semi-automatics along with 10 magazines, carrying 150 rounds of ammunition. Dr. George is being held without bail on 1st degree murder charges.